A Standard for the Aerospace Supply Chain
Companies that are driven to compete and win in the aerospace industry can demonstrate their commitment, responsibility and expertise through independent AS9100 certification by TUV SUD America. Certification can be applied to any area, design and manufacturing of equipment, parts, supply, maintenance, overhaul and repair depots, accessory supply, airport and airline operations, flight operations and cargo handling.
- The AS9110 standard is for maintenance organizations that work in aerospace. It assures that aerospace products are maintained for stringent conditions, where repairs can be difficult and endurance is essential. The standard focuses on controls and maintenance plans, configurations and the qualifications needed to perform maintenance.
- AS9120 registration applies to quality management systems for distributors who regularly stock aerospace commodity items (aerospace stockists.). This standard allows these organizations to demonstrate their ability to consistently provide products that meet customer and regulatory requirements, and enhance customer satisfaction through continual improvement processes.
The AS9100 standard contains the elements of the ISO 9001:2008 standard and its corresponding guidelines. Specific items have been added to AS9100 to support aerospace-specific quality and reliability requirements(i):
- Configuration management process. Variations to key characteristics of a product must be managed for fit, performance, service life and manufacturability.
- Planning product realization. The standard emphasizes planning for in-process verification when a product can’t be verified at a later point. Tooling design must also be used to ensure that process data will be captured.
- Design-and-development with in-process control points. Design outputs are used to provide identification of key characteristics.
- Design-and-development validation. AS9100 provides information on documentation, testing, and results.
- Identifying and maintaining suppliers. AS9100 includes additional expectations for supplier approval and management.
- Supplier Control. Inspection, validation, and acceptance of products from suppliers is addressed. Whether managed on-site or by the supplier, the process and controls must be managed by the system.
- Supplier Management. Each supplier is responsible for managing its sub-tier suppliers according to AS9100 standard, including source requirements, critical processes, and its sub-tier suppliers.
- Communication requirements. The standard also addresses issues such as engineering requirements, testing samples, and access and inspection of suppliers’ facilities.
Benefits of Certification
Companies that seek AS9100 certification strive to exceed government requirements, improve their performance through excellence in management practices, track and communicate their progress and work with independent auditors to enhance and certify their management systems.
Through independent certification by an accredited auditing firm like TUV SUD, aerospace companies and vendors can certify that they have an effective system in place. In addition, Quality Management Systems guide firms in assessing their needs, building performance goals and reporting progress to the public.
The other benefits of AS9100 certification:
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Ongoing operational improvements that cut waste and reduce costs
- Fewer errors and lower return rates
- Greater productivity and improved performance
- Simplified documentation
- Greater audit and surveillance efficiency
- Greater access to new markets
- Meets requirements for suppliers of the major aerospace manufacturers, such as GE Aircraft, Boeing, Rolls-Royce Allison and Pratt and Whitney.
In addition, because AS9100 assures customers that your products meet agreed-upon standards, there will be less need for individual customer audits, saving time and resources. Sales and transactions go more smoothly because your reputation for performance has already been established – by your TUV SUD certification.
Endorsements of AS9100
AS9100 has been endorsed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), the International Aerospace Quality Group (IAQG) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) as well as Boeing, GE Aircraft Engines and United Technologies companies Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky, and Hamilton/Sunstrand, as well as many others.
Qualifications listed on www.tuv-sud-america.com website.